Friday, March 18, 2011

In Process

I am working on a sample piece for a class I'm teaching in April to the Fallbrook Quilt Guild http://www.fallbrookquiltguild.com/index.html. I've made this several times before, but I thought this time it might be interesting to show you some of the thought process and decision making that goes along with it.

I selected a variety of fabrics in slightly greyed pastels. After cutting them I auditioned them in several different ways.

In this sample I chose to separate the colors from other similar colors. That way the curves show to their best advantage. It looks distinctly choppy, but is that what I want?

Then I repositioned them so that they rainbowed through the color range. See how the curves are no longer the focus? Now color is the focus. But is this what I want? If color was my main focus I could strip piece this more easily. Do the curves still show enough?

In this final photo I limed my color palette further by eliminating the warm colors and using only the cooler colors, blue through yellowish green.

Okay, your turn. If you have an opinion I'd love to hear what you would decide and why. Post a message or drop me an email.
Lisa

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer picture #3 for a wearable. And I like #2 and #3 pattern wise. The top one looks too scaly! Miss you!

Jill

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home