Friday, October 17, 2008

Pictures!

I have not posted any photos recently of what we've been doing so here are a few.

My Palomar class is working through some of the exercises from The Art Quilt Workbook by Jane Davila and Elin Waterston. We recently challenged ourselves to make the pear in colors we were unaccustomed to using. I LOVE color so I challenged myself to work in just black and white and here are my results.
We are also doing a project that I call Party Line Quilts. Each person that chooses to participate makes their own center and brings that, plus an assortment of related fabrics to class. The class discusses ideas as to what should come next. Here is my center, a rather homely 18" square block. Not too exciting yet, right? Keep watching!


We just finished the semester's "big quilt" and this is my lap sized version. The corners are a tad dark in this photo and actually match the center. I definitely need to work out a better place for photography that doesn't involve a lot of set up time and effort.


And finally here is next week's hand's on project for the class: a yo-yo encrusted Christmas (or other holiday) ornament. If you plan on coming to class don't forget your yo-yo maker, needle, thread, scissors, ~3" styrofoam ball and buttons.

Today I had a blast going to the Ramona Quilt Show with some friends. The show was great fun and we picked our own best in show, even though they didn't let us vote (something about not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings). Then we hit 2 great fabric shops: The Crazy Nine-Patch and Rosie's plus did lunch at D. Z. Akins. Fun, food, fabric and friends, who could ask for anything better?!

2 Comments:

Blogger jane dávila said...

Your black and white pear is awesome! What a great idea to challenge yourselves to work out of your comfort zone, color-wise.

jane

6:32 PM  
Blogger Elin said...

Wicked. Awesome. Cool.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home