Friday, December 19, 2008

First Bahraini Pictures

Here are some of the pictures I took while in Bahrain:

This is a skyscraper that is new since I lived in Bahrain. It looks amazing! It's leaning, but not leaning. I'm not sure it's a very efficient use of space, but very innovative.

This is a view from the gym at my husband's apartment. The area you see below is fairly typical. People really do live right next to each other like that and the buildings tend to be light colored because of the heat. Buildings are made of concrete, not wood and have flat roofs (no snow!) that often double as patios.

Another view of the pointy skyscraper and the 2 towers. I wish I'd gotten a better view of the towers. They are shaped like sails, but bowed in opposite directions. At night I couldn't take my eyes off of them. They have large lights on many levels and they change colors in no discernable pattern. Quite mesmerizing.

This is the empty lot next to my husband's apartment. I wanted you to see the color of the "soil" and to show you how much construction is constantly occuring around the perimeter of the island.


And finally this is a picture of the "new" bridge. Bahrain is actually made up of many islands so bridges are a necessity, at least until they fill in all the land in that area. The island is constantly enlarging and what was ocean front property when I lived there in 1999 is now quite aways inland.


More to come...
Lisa



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home