Sunday, May 31, 2009

Playing with Sharpies

I finally had a chance to play with Sharpie markers and rubbing alcohol. This first picture is my coloring done on PFD fabric. Notice how scribbly it is. I found the larger tipped markers much easier to use, although the fine points gave just as nice a finished product. The light peachy orange circles are done with a fine tipped marker as are some of the highlights added to the circles. Here is the piece after I wet it with alcohol. I used about 1/4 cup for this piece and put it on with a foam brush. I painted with the fabric flat, but had to lean it to dry since the color was running off the fabric.
Here's a picture of the foam core board I pinned it to for the alcohol addition. Next time I'll try putting a piece of plain fabric underneath since I like the soft look.

And here is the final product. The green did not travel as well as the other colors. I can still see the scribble lines I drew. What I really like about this process is that the colors became more intense.

I will definitely do a few more experiments and then probably start on a hand-colored jacket!
Thanks to everyone on the Quiltart list who gave me tips about this technique. You are the greatest!
Lisa

3 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly Davis said...

Hi Lisa,

That looks great. Did you get any great tips that are worth sharing?

Cheers,
Kim

11:47 AM  
Blogger pcoxdesign said...

Wow! That looks awesome! I may have to give that a try.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Carole said...

My first opportunity to comment Lisa, but this looks like fun. The results are definitely positive.
If you get a chance... what kind of alcohol did you use? I am guessing Rubbing alcohol?
Thank you for sharing this technique.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home