Monday, April 19, 2010

California Poppies

One of our latest joys is walking around the gardens at our new home seeing what's coming out of the ground. Since we inherited these beautiful grounds we have no idea what we will find.

This week I was amazed at all the different California style poppies. I'm not sure if they are natural sports or if the previous owners planted all these different colors, but they are fun to see!
On the right is a traditional California golden poppy (the state flower, I believe, and a heck of a lot prettier than the Maine state flower, LOL). On the left is a pale yellow variant.

This poppy was yellow inside and pink outside.

Pink poppies

More pink poppies
Red poppies
And best of all these poppies are a glorious burnt orange on the outside and orange on the inside.

In my studio I've been working (and working) on the queen-sized quilt and I finally have the top assembled and the backing is on its way. I hope to send it to the longarm quilter this week! Wow! There's a reason I don't usually make bed quilts: short attention span, LOL. I just don't enjoy doing the same thing over and over. But it's done and I'm moving on to working on a UFO. More on that later. And of course there's my latest art quilt challenge :-)
Lisa

1 Comments:

Blogger Shelley: the Dread Pirate Rodgers said...

I just love California poppies. The deep yellow/gold ones are my favorites. It is simply astounding to see a complete hillside blooming with them. :-)

Oh, and the pink ones are pretty too. :-)

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home