Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Everyday Wearable Art and Beyond

The Fashion Show/Trunk Show (I'm not sure which term I prefer... is there a difference when you're talking about wearable art?) was a huge success. The North County Quilters' Guild couldn't have been friendlier and more receptive. They're a terrific group and my only regret was that I didn't have time to join! Oh well, an excuse to go back next month :-)

They laughed at all the right places in my talk and so many of them came up and told me how much they enjoyed my jackets it was almost embarrassing. Except that I was having too much fun to be embarrassed. And the models thanked ME for the privilege of wearing the jackets and getting a chance to see them up close.

My daughter, Elisia ran the back room for me and modeled a couple of the smaller jackets. She did a great job, especially as a model, but I missed Wendy's calming presence. She was doing a lecture at Canyon Quilters the same evening. We both hope that schedule conflicts like that won't happen again. I'm the featured speaker for Canyon in January and Wendy will be there to help.

I've found my niche! And with 65 coats and jackets (I'm not even counting the Bernina ensembles since they're still traveling), as well as numerous vests, dresses and skirts I have plenty to choose from :-) My talk is entitled Everyday Wearable Art and Beyond because most of my jackets (90%) are things that I do wear all the time: to guild meetings and quilt shows, of course, but also to school functions, my kids' band concerts and field shows and the grocery store. These are not costume-y runway or show pieces (the Bernina pieces being an obvious exception which prove that I CAN do that sort of thing) , but just interesting jackets that are very wearable.

The best part is that all the accolades I've been receiving have truly stimulated my creativity. I now have a new idea (someone else has probably already thought of it, but if so, I haven't seen it yet!) and have 3 jacket variations in the planning stages as well as ideas for so many more it makes my head spin! This is the best time of year for making jackets. The cooler weather means that I can wear them as soon as they're done, a real incentive towards finishing. Watch this space for future developments.

Another fashion show is scheduled for Sunday: and afternoon high tea for a women's group. It should be fun. I'll change my show to gear it more towards non-quilters this time.

I'm off to go create something wonderful! Hope you are too :-)
Lisa

2 Comments:

Blogger Selwyn, The Crafty Engineer said...

Sure wish I could attend one of your shows!! A bit of a long commute however!

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Lisa. I'm sure the show was a huge success. Your wearable art is absolutely gorgeous. Hope the Palomar classes are going well. I sure do miss those.

Debbie in NH and it is cooler here today!

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home