Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Tropical Punch and Website Woes

I'm so sad. I can't seem to get my website hooked up. I reserved a name with one company and then decided to go with another and I can't get the first company to transfer the name. I don't know if it's my own lack of knowledge or if they're being deliberately difficult, but it's getting very frustrating. Please be patient. The website really is coming soon!

In the meantime here are a few pictures of a jacket, belt and purse I made a few years ago. I love 3-dimensional techniques and Collette Wolfe's book The Art of Manipulating Fabric was a definite inspiration for this jacket. Of course I made up a few of my own techniques, too.
It was a lot of fun making this piece. I made each technique on a random sized piece of fabric without any clear idea of how they would go together. Then I had one of those wonderful "Aha!" moments and thought of assembling them as sort of puzzle pieces with bias between to delineate them and cover the raw edges.

I used a couple of special tools for some of the techniques: a pleater board and twin needles with and without cording and also did a fair amount of hand sewing.


I'm very much a machine piecer and quilter, despite having learned how to do everything by hand first, but it's always nice to have a hand project to take along to meetings, etc.. Sewing machines are a bit large to lug around and set up!


The leftover pieces from the jacket were made into the belt and the purse. It must be my New England upbringing, but I save any largish pieces left over from my projects. You never know when you might need a bit of scrunched fabric, LOL .

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Lisa, this is absolutely wonderful! The graphic quality with the black outlining grabs the eye first, then the colors, and then oh my goodness the textures. Wowser! And I love how you use up leftovers, that's a great idea to have a coordinating belt.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home