Thursday, June 18, 2009

Free Motion Applique

I've been working with free motion applique for many years now and a good friend (thanks Christina!) suggested that I should start teaching it. I have a number of examples on my jackets, but I like the have a simpler project for people who don't want to invest the time in a large project. This will be the front side of a totebag.

Here is the basic design, featuring fabrics fused in place using WonderUnder. Then I free motion stitched to further secure the edges using a matching rayon thread.

Here is a closeup of the stitching. I tried to tweak the colors so the stitching would show more. Let me just say it shows up more and looks better in person.


Then I discovered that the back shows the stitching even better since I use a matching color in the bobbin. (Maybe I should make it a reversible totebag. That's probably overkill...) Next step is to finish it into a totebag.
Lisa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home