Wednesday, August 05, 2009

August 3 Mini Quickie Quilt

Here is my mini quickie quilt for this week. I don't know why I never finish them until Wednesday, LOL.

On the gelatin plate I tried to hand draw some gold paint into starbursts or pinwheels. I wasn't that pleased with the effect so this was in my "dud" pile. Nevertheless I chose it to play with this week. (As in "Can This Fabric Be Saved?")

First I fused rust colored flower centers, then I added some long stems. The leaves are leftovers from an old jacket. After fusing everything in place the fun really began. I free motion stitched metallic copper thread (the one my Bernina does NOT like, argh!) around the gold, creating wispy flowers. I free motion stitched with green thread over the stems and leaves.

Finally I wanted to try a new-to-me finishing technique I heard about in Mary Tabar's class. I made a facing from leftover grey fabric and hand stitched in to the back. I will have to experiment with this idea further as I wasn't totally satisfied with the final result. The edges seem a bit bulky to me and the corners didn't work right. It also seemed to take a lot longer than traditional binding, but that may been just because it was new to me.


I will be in Redondo Beach on Saturday for a luncheon fashion show. Hope to see you there!
Lisa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home