Wednesday, January 12, 2011

UFO Finished! Flower Child

Sometimes a UFO just doesn't want to be what it was intended to be originally. I made the background of this jacket over 10 years ago. It was intended to be a background for some Susan Carlson inspired fish. After making 4 or 5 fish I stalled and new projects came along.

Now being a completionist, this bothered me. Generally I pass it along to someone who will enjoy whatever I've started or just utilize pieces of a project, but I felt this had promise so I kept it. I have a very small number of UFOs and this was one of them. After the move to our new home I felt it was time to finish some things up and this was the first.

I made more fish in a smaller scale because what was missed was a sense of depth with all the fish a similar size. Unfortunately the technique did not lend itself to smaller and they were less than satisfactory. I pondered and pondered then decided to chuck the new unhappy fishes, use the larger ones in small wall quilts and use the background for something I had been thinking about: a woven flower jacket.

So here is Flower Child
and closeup where you can see how the flowers are woven from 2 different batiks. I tried a variety of woven leaves, but nothing really worked so two toned leaves will have to do. I think it's bright and cheerful for a cold winter's day.


Post a Comment

<< Home