Wednesday, April 06, 2011

"Sick" Shoes

I while ago I bought some black Vans slip-on sneakers. Okay, no jokes about my getting too old to bend over and tie my own shoes. My goal was to embellish them with paint. It took a while for me to get up the nerve, but I finally did it.

I used Stewart Gill paints because they are nicely opaque and I was working on black. The squares were made with a brush using metallic silver paint. Then I used a variety of stamps with red, silver and gold paint. I thought it needed something more so I added the red dots using the blunt end of a wooden skewer.

I'm happy with them, but there are some stamps I'd skip next time. The Chinese characters didn't work well and the silver dots are hit or miss. It's hard to work on a curved fairly inflexible surface!

I was wearing them yesterday when I stopped at the mall after my weekly weigh-in at Weight Watchers. (I've lost 12 pounds so far and it's really starting to show!) One of the store clerks told me I had "sick" shoes and asked where I got them. I explained that I had painted them myself. He kept saying how "sick" they were. I'm hoping that was a good thing!

Lisa

1 Comments:

Blogger Kekibird said...

Oh those are very cool! Great work!

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home