Monday, April 20, 2009

Back From Chicago

I'm back! I went to the Spring International Quilt Festival in Chicago and had a great time. This was my first quilt show all alone (I didn't know a single person there with the exception of a few vendors who were much too busy to spend time with me) and it went very well. I think I ate one meal alone the whole time and I met some wonderful people (hi Mary, Susan, Terrie, Mary Ann, Jan, Jane, Mary Sue, Maggie and Linda!)

There were fabulous quilts and great vendors (again I did serious damage to my pocketbook at Stewart Gill, but boy are those paints fabulous!). It was very crowded on Friday and somewhat crowded on Saturday, but the rest of the time was wonderful.

I took one class on Shibori and went to 3 samplers classes. I'll talk more about the shibori class when I've had time to take pictures of my pieces. The sampler classes were fun although it's not for the hard of hearing. The noise level is very high and you really have to strain to hear some of them. It's not their fault, just the nature of the set-up with everyone so close together.

Hand's down my favorite demo was Maggie Weiss. She did Pop Art Quilt Blocks and I almost didn't go to that one as I thought it was another block assembly lesson and those don't particularly interest me. Actually she showed how to use Thermofax screens and it was so cool! I can't wait to get some made and try it myself! Her talk was very logical and organized, too, unlike some of the others. In their defense it's really hard when you have to give the same talk 12 times in a row with no bell or anything letting them know when to begin again. Anyway, check out Maggie's website http://www.maggieweiss.com I'm hoping to talk someone in my area into getting her as a speaker!

On a non-quilt related note, my daughter, Elisia, called in the middle of the night last night and said her throat was so sore she could barely breathe. She had been to the college clinic and they said she had tonsillitis and merely gave her a spray to numb the area. She ended up in the emergency room and they didn't even bother with a test it was so obviously strep. She's on bed rest for the next few days and is hopefully recovering now.

One more thing before I close (sorry this is so long...) Christine asked what pattern I used on Arabesque. I have my own patterns which I've developed to fit me over the past years. I'm currently in the process of multi-sizing them and hope to have them available by next year, Keep your fingers crossed and I'll let you know here when they're available.

Lisa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home