Saturday, August 22, 2009

August 17th MMQQ

Here is my Monday Mini Quickie Quilt, just a tad late. It's been finished for several days, but my new camera comes with a learning curve, LOL.

The background was an ugly grey hand-dyed with funky pink splotches on it (note to self: either mix old dyes more thoroughly or strain them using cheesecloth). I gelatin printed it using an intriguing mixture of old paint from the previous print (blues and pinks) and new paint (gold and copper) using a coreopsis leaf (again! hey, it's the best thing in my garden!). I also tore some random pieces of newspaper and tossed those on as well.

Needless to say I was less than pleased with the funky strips of ugly background fabric showing. I covered them with Misty Fuse and roughly pleated a coppery sheer on top. The edges were covered with a copper thread and decorative serpentine stitch.

To cover the ugly hand-dyed in the center where the leaf print was I free-motion quilted/embroidered a tree using a dark brown thread. It still needed more so I hand stitched copper beads on the tree as if they were blossoms.

Eh, not my favorite piece, but parts of it I really like (the beaded tree) and I learned what NOT to do next time, LOL. Isn't that the whole point of life?

Lisa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home