Friday, February 18, 2011

Dear Lisa

I finished something! That is such a wonderful feeling :-)

This jacket is based on the Dear Jane quilt blocks. I love making miniatures, but haven't really made many since my grandmother passed away. She was in a nursing home and I sent her a new mini wall hanging for her room every Christmas. (Unfortunately when she passed away they all disappeared. A word to the wise.)

The Dear Jane blocks are a larger size (finished at 4-1/2 inches, I think) so I scaled these down to 3 inches finished size. This limited me to nine-patch designs unless I wanted to do a lot of tedious drafting work, but that's okay, there are lots of wonderful nine patch blocks.




I quilted with metallic gold thread around each block, then stippled the background. I played with a new-to-me idea for the quilting; I quilted some areas with black thread and other areas with the metallic gold thread. I think it looks great, but it's subtle. (It doesn't show up at all in most of the pictures.) Next time I will use a tighter quilting design.
Lisa
P.S. Do you think Dear Lisa is a good name for this jacket or can you come up with something better?

1 Comments:

Blogger Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

Call it what makes you happy, that is all that matters.

I can appreciate you skill, my DJ is double sided and that is a lot of small blocks.

all the best on the tea plan, I often drink plain hot water and always ask for a cup of tea water in a restaurant. Keeps my hands warm and out of the bread bowl.

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home