Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Steps in Quilting: Cutting

Another one of my "not favorite" parts of quilting, but worth it to get to the end results. After I've selected fabric I always need to iron it before cutting. When fabric comes into my home it is washed, dried and ironed, but then it's folded and put away in a box with the appropriate colors. I know that not everyone washes their fabric, but I have enough allergy problems without dealing with whatever they may have put on the fabric so mine is washed.

After pressing I cut one block and do a test block, just to make sure the pattern is correct. Whether it's a commercial pattern or my own design it never hurts to check to make sure the measurements are correct, the fabrics work for what you envisioned and the scale is right.

Then it's just a matter of cutting, cutting cutting. I have a perfect cutting table with a big mat and several rotary cutters. I tend to be naughty about replacing blades and simply switch to a better blade until they all need a new one. Then I very sweetly ask my husband to change them all! Sharp objects are just too scary!

Lisa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home