Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Steps in Quilting: Design

It's easy to see why so many people enjoy quilting. There are so many different steps involved, many of which require different talents.

The first step is designing. While many people skip this step by buying patterns or taking classes I find this to be one of my favorite steps. It starts with the germ of an idea. It may be something totally new or just a "what if I" tweak to a traditional pattern. Either way the designer gets to mentally page through their own catalogue of techniques, figuring out how to take this idea and make a quilt (or wearable!).

What's your favorite part of quilting?

Lisa

3 Comments:

Blogger Wayne Kollinger said...

Lisa

I like to sew quilts; but I love to design them. Design is so much fun I am amazed that more quilters don't design their own quilts. So I use my blog to persuade them they should.

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Bro. AJK said...

Dear Lisa,

I am in the midst of making a quilt using the merit badges I earned for my Eagle Scout. While I already have the images, the challenge was how to translate silver-dollar-sized images to 12" blocks. I enjoy the final top...now to make the backing!

2:05 PM  
Blogger West Michigan Quilter said...

I'm more of a copier. I wish I had the talent to design, but I get my germ of an idea from other places and build on that. Sometime my results are the same, and sometimes I go way off in left field. It depends on the project I'm working on. I might have to make it bigger or smaller or want to use up my scraps.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home