Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Completionist

You've all done it. Taken a hand's on class, workshop, guild presentation, etc. and come away with one block, sample, piece of art, etc. Then what do you do with it? It goes right into the UFO pile because it was such a cool idea so you know you'll finish it. Eventually. But right now you're working on _______ (fill in the blank).

Last Wednesday I went to Sherrie's class at Bits and Pieces. For those of you who don't know, Sherrie took over my old class there, but is not offering it through Palomar. It's a great class and a really nice group of people. Anyway I hadn't been there the week before since I was preparing for my fashion show for the Kaleidoscope Quilt Guild followed by my trip to Chicago so I didn't know we were supposed to bring anything. My tablemate, Jerre kindly lent me the required supplies: a piece of muslin and some crayons.

I colored the flower basket (this is so not me, but it was fun coloring!) and brought it home. Now what? I try to keep UFOs to a minimum and I know what a procrastinator I can be so I decide what the piece's purpose is right away. Will it be "something" or should I toss it as a fun lesson learned, nothing more is needed? This one said I should quilt it so I did in a couple of hours and ta-da! A wallhanging. (And yes I'm currently working on 6 other projects, but this one is done!)
Th picture above shows the actual colors.

And I tried to darken the contrast on this one so you could see the quilting better. I did some fairly small stippling, but as I moved out I felt it needed borders, which I had not added.
I thought about adding some, but it was silly to spend the time sorting through my stash to find the right something, just for a quickie piece like this. I didn't have the original crayons so I couldn't make my own so that option was out.
So I opted to make a pseudo border by stitching a rectangle around the piece, followed by another 1/4" away, then continuing with the stippling. Instant border and very elegant. I really like the way it came out and I can assure you it's prettier in person.

I'm a completionist still and no longer a procrastinator. Which are you?
Lisa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home