Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Final Runway Show

From the 2008 Bernina Fashion Show, Rendezvous, photos by Kim Coffman. Photos courtesy of Bernina and Quilts, Inc.It's the end of an era. One of the main reasons I went to Chicago was to see the final Bernina Fashion Show on the runway for the last time. The pieces will be at Long Beach, but only for the static display and some informal modeling.

The model wearing my ensemble in Chicago did a great job, even though the coat was a tad small on her. She took it off and showed the dress beneath it much better than it was shown in Houston. Seeing the Bernina Fashion Show at a luncheon is by far the best way to see the show. The tables are much closer to the runway than where you get to sit at Houston, even for the designers. Naturally this let me see the various ensembles even better and was a great treat.

I'm very sad that there will be no more shows. We were told it's just too expensive to insure and ship the ensembles. I guess the economic downturn is affecting everything, but it seems to me that wearable art is on the upswing because of the economic downturn as well as with a little help from Project Runway. (Speaking of Project Runway I assume that you've heard by now that season 6 will be on Lifetime starting August 20!) People are making more things instead of purchasing them.

Karey Bresenhan said they were going to come up with something new to highlight what we wearable artists do, but I haven't heard anything yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Lisa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home