Monday, February 19, 2007

Sorry it's been so long

Wow! Has it really been that long since I last posted?! I'll have to make this more of a regular thing again.

I've been very busy team teaching 6 quilting classes a week at Palomar Community College. When I wasn't teaching (during the winter break) I was busy with Wendy plotting what we'd teach for the Spring Semester. Many changes later we finally have a cohesive syllabus, yipee! I don't think anyone who hasn't taught a 16 week semester has any idea just how much work is involved in it.

Wendy was going to "retire" this semester, but agreed to continue when I joined her. And it's been great! We have a blast teaching together and I can't imagine doing it any other way. When one of us is busy or stressed or just plain tired the other is there to take up the slack. I'm so lucky to have someone I greatly admire to teach with :-) Not to mention the fact that she is kind enough to put up with me!

Just a quick update on my kids.
  • Jake will be 18 a the end of the month! An adult in name at least ;-)
  • Jake has dropped band, much to my sorrow. I cried throughout his last concert in January. He had several solos and was awesome. But he really doesn't want to play any more and I don't want to be one of those parents that expects their kids to be something they're not.
  • On a similar vein, he's not going to college (despite awesome SAT scores and a perfect score on the math SAT2). He's decided he wants to be an auto mechanic so will be attending UTI in the fall with his best friend. It's something worthwhile and I know he'll be great at whatever he chooses.
  • Elisia will be 17 this summer and continues to do well in school and in band.
  • Elisia just returned from the All-State California Honor Band where she had a fabulous time! She's so bubbly and happy it's great to have her around :-)
  • Elisia has a very busy summer planned with a week at the UCLA summer music camp, 2 weeks at Idyllwild for symphony orchestra and a week or 2 in New England visiting family.

This week I'm teaching stained glass. Of course I'm sure I should have made a stained glass quilt or at least read how to before I started this, but I made up my own method and it looks pretty :-) We're doing a design day instead of a how-to day and we're hoping people will design their own versions of my stained glass quilts. We're providing them with a couple of flowers and teaching them to draw a third. I'll try to get some pictures later so I can show you what they look like.

I'm giving a trunk show tonight for Canyon Quilters. There will be 40 or so of my favorite jackets with Wendy running the back room and Elisia helping with the modeling of the smaller jackets plus she gets to wear my Bernina Fashion show ensemble, Soleil Ole, from 2004. This will be its first showing in my trunk show. Yipee!

That should be plenty for now. I'll try to post more regularly in the future.

ta,

Lisa

P.S. Have you checked out The Quilt Show website? I can't wait to see the first show!

2 Comments:

Blogger Selwyn, The Crafty Engineer said...

Woo hoo! So glad you are back posting!! I've missed seeing your work and hearing about what's up with you! I am headed to MAQF on Thursday for the annual Hen Weekend...it dawns on me that I never sent you pics from last year or from Denver...ugh! Sorry.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

lovely to see you posting again. No wonder you haven't been blogging with all that teaching going on. I'm sure the students will have had a great time with you.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home